Home Forums Movies 2019 BAFTA Predictions

2019 BAFTA Predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
DrewN92
O´Hara
ospencer
  • Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Can’t find anything about the BAFTAs after 20 pages, so here goes. We can post predictions and longlists here.

Rising Star Award nominees announced today:

Jessie Buckley
    Cynthia Erivo
    Barry Keoghan
    Lakeith Stanfield
    Letitia Wright

The Rising Star is the only BAFTA winner to be decided by public vote. Last year’s winner was Daniel Kaluuya, the star of social satire-cum-horror film “Get Out,” which also featured Stanfield. Wright co-starred with Kaluuya in Marvel blockbuster “Black Panther.” She was recently nominated for an Emmy as supporting actress in a limited series or movie for the “Black Mirror” episode “Black Museum.”

Atlanta” star Stanfield has more recently been seen in Boots Riley’s acclaimed “Sorry to Bother You,” alongside Tessa Thompson, who was nominated for the Rising Star Award last year.

The list of five nominees was announced Thursday, about a week ahead of next Wednesday’s release of the full slate of actors, directors and others who will vie for a trophy from the British Academy of Film and Television Arts.

Joining Wright and Stanfield in the Rising Star lineup are Jessie Buckley, Barry Keoghan and Cynthia Erivo. The winner will be unveiled Feb. 10 at the BAFTA gala ceremony at London’s Royal Albert Hall.

British star Buckley was most recently seen in British crime drama “Beast,” which saw her win most promising newcomer at the British Independent Film Awards in December, where she was also nominated as best actress.

Following a breakout year in 2017 with roles in Christopher Nolan’s “Dunkirk” and Yorgos Lanthimos’ “The Killing of a Sacred Deer,” Irish actor Keoghan more recently starred in Bart Layton’s “American Animals” and Irish box office hit “Black ’47.”

Erivo, a Broadway star (“The Color Purple”) who has already won Tony, Emmy and Grammy Awards, made a splash on the big screen in 2018 with key roles in Steve McQueen’s “Widows” and Drew Goddard’s “Bad Times at the El Royale.”

Last year, Kaluuya beat out fellow Brits Florence Pugh and Josh O’Connor, as well as U.S. stars Thompson and Timothee Chalamet.

Previous Rising Star Award winners include John Boyega, Eva Green, Tom Hardy, James McAvoy, Shia LaBeouf and Will Poulter.

Discuss.

O´Hara
    Participant
    Topics:

Surprised Elsie Fisher isn’t in there

ReplyCopy URL
    DrewN92
    Participant
    Topics:

Surprised Elsie Fisher isn’t in there

I thought she was a guaranteed nomination/win here!

Happy for Cynthia, though.

ReplyCopy URL
    ospencer
    Participant
    Topics:

Not sure how Cynthia Erivo qualifies as a rising star but ok. I’m quite sad Amandla Stenberg and Elsie Fischer are not in there. I think Wright is the frontrunner?

ReplyCopy URL
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:
    Participant
    Topics:

Not sure how Cynthia Erivo qualifies as a rising star but ok. I’m quite sad Amandla Stenberg and Elsie Fischer are not in there. I think Wright is the frontrunner?

Cynthia had a good year- lots of praise for Bad Times at the El Royale & Widows, recently-ish coming off a Tony win, has promising upcoming movies (Harriet biopic), and is British.. but i’ll admit I am surprised re Fisher and Stenberg.

I imagine Wright to win.

ReplyCopy URL
    ospencer
    Participant
    Topics:

Cynthia had a good year- lots of praise for Bad Times at the El Royale & Widows, recently-ish coming off a Tony win, has promising upcoming movies (Harriet biopic), and is British.. but i’ll admit I am surprised re Fisher and Stenberg. I imagine Wright to win.

I meant that she is already quite established. She is almost an EGOT winner for god’s sake. Why not nominate Lady Gaga while were at it?

ReplyCopy URL
    Hoster1
    Participant
    Topics:

I meant that she is already quite established. She is almost an EGOT winner for god’s sake. Why not nominate Lady Gaga while were at it?

But Erivo isn’t established in a film industry as much as in theatre. She wasn’t even in any movie before this year. So I understand her inclusion here.

ReplyCopy URL
    DrewN92
    Participant
    Topics:

Ah okay, that makes sense! Was thinking you meant she wasn’t established enough. Maybe because she’s new to film, coming from TV/theater?

ReplyCopy URL
    zkrons
    Participant
    Topics:

Side note, if Erivo is nominated & wins an Oscar for Harriet next year, will she be the quickest EGOT winner ever?

ReplyCopy URL
    O´Hara
    Participant
    Topics:

Side note, if Erivo is nominated & wins an Oscar for Harriet next year, will she be the quickest EGOT winner ever?

Yes

ReplyCopy URL
    JROCK1772
    Participant
    Topics:

This is a solid list of Rising Star nominees. Keoghan, Stanfield, Erivo, and Wright would all be exceptional winners. Haven’t seen Buckley yet, so can’t judge her strength as a nominee.

ReplyCopy URL
    Lil Tony
    Participant
    Topics:

No Nick Robbinson and Amandla Stenberg? Thomasin Mckenzie?

FYC Emily Blunt (Mary Poppins Returns) and Lady Gaga (A Star is Born) for best actress

ReplyCopy URL
    Cinephile
    Participant
    Topics:

I was hoping that Awkwafina would be nominated…..

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.