Home Forums Movies BAFTA Film Awards 2019 Supporting Actress Poll : Battle of the Favourite's

BAFTA Film Awards 2019 Supporting Actress Poll : Battle of the Favourite's

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
wolfali
Vuitton
BAFTA Film Awards 2019 Supporting Actress Poll : Battle of the Favourite's
Amy Adams as Lynne Cheney (Vice)
18 votes (32.73%)
Claire Foy as Janet Armstrong (First Man)
1 votes (1.82%)
Margot Robbie as Queen Elizabeth I (Mary, Queen of Scots)
3 votes (5.45%)
Emma Stone as Abigail Hill (The Favourite)
2 votes (3.64%)
Rachel Weisz as Sarah Churchill (The Favourite)
31 votes (56.36%)
  • wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:

Following a heated discussion in the forum topic of the BAFTA Film Awards this Feb. There is a debate over who will win Best Supporting Actress (a close race following Regina King’s snub). Here you can vote and discuss who you think will win.

You can discuss other BAFTA 2019 topics in this forum here:

http://discreetwhispers.com/forum/movies/bafta-film-awards-2019-predictions/

O´Hara
    Participant
    Topics:

1.Amy Adams
    2.Claire Foy
    3.Margot Robbie
    4.Rachel Weisz
    5.Emma Stone

I don´t buy Rachel Weisz winning unless she surprises at SAGs.

ReplyCopy URL
    BICTH
    Participant
    Topics:

weisz
    foy
    adams
    robbie
    stone

just realized all five nominees are playing real life people

ReplyCopy URL
    Hoster1
    Participant
    Topics:

If Adams wins SAG, then she’s taking BAFTA too.

ReplyCopy URL
    Vuitton
    Participant
    Topics:

Weisz would be the Favourite to win here, but like @hoster1 says, if Adams wins SAG then she will most likely take BAFTA too. BAFTA will already reward Colman and I can’t see them reward her and Weisz.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

BAFTA will already reward Colman and I can’t see them reward her and Weisz.

That makes zero sense.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t believe Amy Adams will win at BAFTA for a dull performance that has not big moments in it. All she does is say the same repetitive dialogue endlessly, and she plays an awful woman. Yes, she is competent but nothing more than competent. If you believe she gives a great performance provide evidence of it because i sure didn’t see it up there on the movie screen. All four of the other BAFTA nominees DESERVES to win, as they all give brilliant performances. Claire Foy is the MVP of her movie, Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz give fully realized amazing performances that are surprising and complex, and Margot Robbie’s take on Elizabeth I is a fascinating and new take on this always interesting character. Any of them winning would be so richly deserved. Amy Adams is a terrific actress when she has material to back her up and I have enjoyed her work in a number of movies. She hasn’t deserved to be nominated for Vice though. If you feel differently then please tell me where here big moments are. If it’s just a fandom thing admit it because the PERFORMANCE simply isn’t there – she is competent but not at all interesting in this role.

ReplyCopy URL
    Vuitton
    Participant
    Topics:

That makes zero sense.

I don’t think we will see two acting awards for The Favourite.

ReplyCopy URL
    Vuitton
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t believe Amy Adams will win at BAFTA for a dull performance that has not big moments in it. All she does is say the same repetitive dialogue endlessly, and she plays an awful woman. Yes, she is competent but nothing more than competent. If you believe she gives a great performance provide evidence of it because i sure didn’t see it up there on the movie screen. All four of the other BAFTA nominees DESERVES to win, as they all give brilliant performances. Claire Foy is the MVP of her movie, Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz give fully realized amazing performances that are surprising and complex, and Margot Robbie’s take on Elizabeth I is a fascinating and new take on this always interesting character. Any of them winning would be so richly deserved. Amy Adams is a terrific actress when she has material to back her up and I have enjoyed her work in a number of movies. She hasn’t deserved to be nominated for Vice though. If you feel differently then please tell me where here big moments are. If it’s just a fandom thing admit it because the PERFORMANCE simply isn’t there – she is competent but not at all interesting in this role.

We get it. You don’t like Amy Adams’ role or the film. Everyone has already mentioned what makes her performance more interesting, dynamic, and worthy of the win. Move on…

ReplyCopy URL
    wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:

We get it. You don’t like Amy Adams’ role or the film. Everyone has already mentioned what makes her performance more interesting, dynamic, and worthy of the win. Move on…

I believe that they may award her the BAFTA because of all the other times they snubbed her. I haven’t seen Vice but have seen clips and scenes from it and she is amazing as always. Adams is the kind of actress who can lift a film or a role with her performance. The film seems to document the Cheney’s over a 40 year period and she masters Lynne Chenney from being in her 20s through to her 60s that you actually forgot how old Adams is.

ReplyCopy URL
    wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:

Poll results on likelihood of who will score the BAFTA so far:

1. Rachel Weisz
    2. Amy Adams
    3. Margot Robbie
    4. Emma Stone
    4. Claire Foy

Goldderby Odds:
    1. Weisz
    2. Adams
    3. Stone
    4. Foy
    5. Robbie

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I have never ever heard any reasons at all why she should win, only that she is Amy Adams and is overdue. There is never anything about her actual performance. She hasn’t won a single precursor yet and only one critics prize. Where is her big Oscar moment? All of the other actresses in the conversation has at least one and they are all deserving of recognition for brilliant performances. Nobody has mentioned what makes her performance more interesting, dynamic, and worthy of the win – which scenes were so great? Let’s see: the ones where she was snarky and standing by her man, hmmm, that’s her entire performance!

ReplyCopy URL
    DrewN92
    Participant
    Topics:

^Clearly you ignored my response to you about this yesterday in the SAG thread.

Edit: From SAG thread-

As you say all the time, we are all entitled to our own opinion. For example when watching Beale Street I kept waiting for King’s “big Oscar moment” as you say, other than her subtle but powerful moments that we have seen multiple times in all of the trailers. For me that moment never came. She was solid but Oscar worthy? Nope not in my opinion.

You were biased to hate Vice and Adams’ performance before you even saw the movie so these constant comments and dragging is exhausting.

Also she gave a “stand by your man” performance because she was the brains behind his rise to power- did you even watch the movie? She was in the drivers seat and she was power hungry and she needed him because she was a woman at that time and couldn’t do it herself.

And yes- Adams plays a right-wing monster- but why should that even matter? We are judging her performance not who she played. And to ME, she impressed me more than King. The opening scene with Bale, the Shakespeare scene, her facial expressions when she isn’t even the focal point of a conversation, her aged walk, her teary eyed fierce gaze when her daughter comes out, her ability to bring a small glimmer of humanity from a monster character- it was a dramatic but subtle, transformative, supporting performance.

And for the record, I think King is a wonderfully talented actress who gave a great performance with the material she was given, but I was personally underwhelmed.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by  DrewN92.
    ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I find it fascinating that you thought she was the brains behind his rise to power – I got no sense of that at all. People can see the same movie and see it completely differently. I did not see her as being the driver’s seat at all, but as a passive wife only. I saw absolutely none of what you described in her performance. I especially hated the Shakespeare scene, just dreadful and pretentious. And transformative? Boy do we see this performance differently!

I am not saying at all that her playing a right wing monster is my reason. I did not see even a small glimmer of humanity from her, not at all. We probably see her performance differently. I have liked Adams in other films, not just this one. It’s not bias it’s that I see no reason for this particular movie to have been made. Others disagree with me. I also really resent this winning awards as a comedy! It’s a tragedy and not funny at all.

All of King’s scenes in the Puerto Rico sequence were her Oscar moments in Beale Street, my #3 movie of 2018. I am rooting for King because I keep on being told it’s Adams vs. King, I actually think there are at least 8 other performances equally deserving and rich and complex.

I don’t think Adams will win, I think King is still winning the Oscar, and I think Blunt, Robbie or Weisz will win SAG, nad Robbie or Weisz will win BAFTA. My hope is that other actresses will win SAG and BAFTA. I will reluctantly switch my prediction to Adams if and only if she wins both SAG and BAFTA but I pray I won’t have to do so. I resent that Adams is even in the conversation in a year in which there are 9 actresses who actually deserve to win in her category. (btw, I have only been wrong in my acting Oscar predictions twice this decade – I didn’t predict Mark Rylance and Lupita Nyong’o – and yes I have predicted performances that I didn’t like at all to win when the evidence has been there that they were clearly going to win).

ReplyCopy URL
    DrewN92
    Participant
    Topics:

I wasn’t even talking about predictions though. King could still very well win. I was just explaining MY opinion since you asked. I don’t know if I want Adams to win for this role either (Weisz is my favorite) but personally King’s performance was my least favorite of who is in the running that I have seen. (I have not yet seen Foy or Robbie)

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by  DrewN92.
    ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.