Home Forums Movies Who Would Have Won Best Actress At SAG If SAG Had Been Around From 1936-1993?

Who Would Have Won Best Actress At SAG If SAG Had Been Around From 1936-1993?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Created
4 days ago
Last Reply
3 days ago
replies
views
users
Emmyfan
Suzanne Vale
Problemchild
  • Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

There was a thread similar to this quite a while back but I decided to make this one with my own explanations as to why most of these contenders would have won if SAG had been around 58 years earlier then when it was founded(I’m not the biggest expert on 1927-1935 at the Oscars- if any of you are feel free to chime in!):

1936: I think Rainer would have picked up the award here for the Best Picture winner The Great Ziegfield
    1937: Greta Garbo would have taken it for Camille, but Rainer would still go on to win the Oscar for The Good Earth.
    1938: Bette Davis in Jezebel easily.
    1939: Vivien Leigh would have easily won for Gone With The Wind.
    1940: A bit trickier given the level of competition but Rogers was very popular at the time so I think they would have awarded her.
    1941: I could see them honoring De Havilland, but I think they would have given it to Fontaine due to not honoring her for Rebecca the year earlier a prime reason why she won the Oscar.
    1942: Greer Garson would have prevailed here for Mrs Miniver.
    1943: This is tricky as they could have awarded Bergman with Jones losing here but going on to win the Oscar.I’m going to say they go ahead and do that.
    1944: I think Bergman would have won twice in a row for her excellent performance in Gaslight.
    1945: Joan Crawford for Mildred Pierce. Pretty obvious victory.
    1946: Here is where they would honor De Havilland not just for her performance, but for her significant legal victory against Warner Brothers.
    1947: Rosalind Russel would have won here for Mourning Becomes Electra as she was the expected favorite and shockingly lost to Loretta Young.
    1948: Jane Wyman(who was a popular actress back then) would have been awarded for Johnny Belinda as she was at the Oscars.
    1949: Olivia De Havilland would have claimed her 2nd Screen Actors Guild Award for her lauded performance in The Heiress.
    1950: I think that Hollywood’s actors would have embraced Gloria Swanson over Judy Holliday given them being able to relate to some of the character’s struggles within the industry, but Holiday would still have prevailed at the Oscars.
    1951: Vivien Leigh would be honored by SAG again for A Streetcar Named Desire.
    1952: Shirley Booth probably would be their choice.
    1953: Audrey Hepburn fairly easily I imagine.
    1954: The toughest one yet as Garland may have lost at the Oscars due to her unpopularity with the non actor branches of the Academy but Kelly had two other performances in popular films that year and was giving a more traditionally dramatic performance so I think they would given her the SAG over Garland.
    1955: Magnani was big favorite that year so it seems inconceivable that she wouldn’t have won the SAG for The Rose Tattoo.
    1956: This makes me want to change my 1943 or 1944 choices, but right now I think Bergman would have claimed her third prize from the Screen Actors Guild for her performance in Anastasia especially since it really was Hollywood embracing her again after a scandalous affair with Roberto Rossilini.
    1957: Joanne Woodward in The Three Faces Of Eve- the role is too juicy for them to deny her the award.
    1958: Susan Hayward would have at last gotten her due for her performance in I Want To Live! as she did at the Oscars.
    1959: Here I think Elizabeth Taylor would have triumphed for Suddenly Last Summer over Oscar winner Simone Signoret.
    1960: Taylor would have been honored again but only because of sympathy for her health problems at the time.
    1961: It’s tough since there was some excellent contenders that year, but I think Loren’s gritty performance would have won out.
    1962: Here is where I feel that Bancroft would have become the favorite to win making her victory at the Oscars much less of a surprise. Davis, Hepburn, or Page could have also won however.
    1963: Patricia Neal would have been embraced for her strong earthy performance in Hud.
    1964: Julie Andrews, pretty easily I’d imagine.
    1965: Julie Christie since she also had Doctor Zhivago to help her out.
    1966: Elizabeth Taylor due to her performance and weak competition.
    1967: Katharine Hepburn as she would have not won yet and would be overdue for industry love at this point.
    1968: Barbra Streisand in Funny Girl.
    1969: Maggie Smith in The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie in a similar win to Anne Bancroft’s.
    1970: Glenda Jackson in Women In Love.
    1971: Jane Fonda in Klute.
    1972: Liza Minnelli in Cabaret.
    1973: This is tricky, but Marsha Mason or Ellen Burstyn maybe? Or would they just go with Glenda again?
    1974: Ellen Burstyn in Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore although them awarding Gena Rowlands is definitely a possibility.
    1975: Louise Fletcher in One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest.
    1976: Faye Dunaway would be finally honored for Network which would have won Best Ensemble, Best Supporting Actress, and Best Actor as well.
    1977: Diane Keaton in Annie Hall.
    1978: I think Fonda would have been honored again unless Bergman or Clayburg could have broken through(Clayburg would have been more deserving of the Oscar win then Fonda IMO).
    1979: Sally Field in Norma Rae- another obvious one.
    1980: Sissy Spacek in Coal Miner’s Daughter- yet another obvious one.
    1981: Tricky because Meryl could have been awarded the prize, but I think Hepburn would have been embraced for her irresistible(or extremely annoying depending on how you look at it) performance in On Golden Pond.
    1982: Meryl Streep in Sophie’s Choice- moving on.
    1983: Shirley Maclaine in Terms Of Endearment- another easy one.
    1984: Sally Field in Places In The Heart due to weak competition unless the un-nominated Kathleen Turner could have been nominated and won here for Romancing The Stone.
    1985: Geraldine Page would have been honored for her career as well as her excellent performance in The Trip To Bountiful.
    1986: Marlee Matlin would have deservingly been honored for her powerful performance in Children Of A Lesser God.
    1987: Cher in Moonstruck.
    1988: Jodie Foster in The Accused.
    1989: Jessica Tandy in Driving Miss Daisy.
    1990: Kathy Bates in Misery.
    1991: Jodie Foster in The Silence Of The Lambs
    1992: Emma Thompson in Howard’s End
    1993: Holly Hunter in The Piano

Your thoughts?

Emmyfan
    Participant
    Topics:

1950: Gloria Swanson for Sunset Boulevard
    1962: Bette Davis for What Ever Happened To Baby Jane?

ReplyCopy URL
    Suzanne Vale
    Participant
    Topics:

1978: Jill Clayburgh

ReplyCopy URL
    Problemchild
    Participant
    Topics:

1987: Glenn Close

ReplyCopy URL
    Emmyfan
    Participant
    Topics:

1989: Tom Cruise Born on the Fourth of July

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

1989: Tom Cruise Born on the Fourth of July

This thread for Best Actress but thanks anyway!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Emmyfan
    Participant
    Topics:

This thread for Best Actress but thanks anyway!!

Well…..

Actually, I forgot about this being focused on Actress when I posted Tom Cruise in Born on the Fourth of July.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.